Musings and ramblings of a Jewish Fashionista

Musings and ramblings of a fashion and beauty obsessed mama. A fashion, beauty and lifestyle blog.


Thursday 15 September 2011

Topman Pulls Offensive T-Shirts

Fashion favourite Topman have gotten themselves into a leeetle bit of trouble with a couple of printed t-shirts from their "2 for £12" range.

It was micro-blogging site twitter which raised the red flags over the, to put it mildly, offensive t-shirts.

The first round neck T-shirt in question carries a logo which reads "Nice New Girlfriend. What Breed is She"

"This one beggars belief, surely a hoax???" came the first tweet, at about 12.30pm, courtesy of @sarahbrowngb , head of communications for the Women's Resource Centre in London.

The second T-shirt (£14) bared the apology, "I'm so sorry but…." and offered a multiple choice of reasons:
-You provoked me
-I was drunk
-I was having a bad day
-I hate you
-I didn't mean it
-I couldn't help it

"Look! we can commoditise domestic violence" mocked @stevegabb .

 In a statement released shortly after Twitter invoked its collective rage, Topman announced that it was pulling the offensive tops:

"We have received some negative feedback regarding two of our printed T-shirts. Whilst we would like to stress that these T-shirts were meant to be light hearted and carried no serious meaning we have made the decision to remove these from store and on-line as soon as possible. We would like to apologise to those who may have been offended by these designs."

What do you think? Offensive? Personally I can't see how they could have thought the messages could be perceived in a "light-hearted" way. Keep offensiveness out of fashion please Topman, I expect better of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment